Alfalfa is one of the healthiest and tastiest sprouting seeds that you can buy. Organic Alfalfa Sprouts are arguably the most popular of all sprouting seeds today. They are fast and simple to grow, have a great versatile flavour, and add a pleasant crunch to your meals and snacks. Alfalfa Sprouts are a Grow Sow Greener favourite and delicious in sandwiches, salads and soups. We also love them as a nutritious replacement for iceberg lettuce in tacos.
Alfalfa Sprouts are extremely nutrient-dense, packed with Vitamins E, C, and K, as well as minerals such as iron, copper, magnesium, sulfur, potassium, folate and silicone. Whilst this is in itself is impressive, it is Alfalfa's sheer content of bioactive plant compounds and phytochemicals, saponins, coumarins, flavonoids, phytosterols, phytoestrogens and alkaloids which earns it its superfood title. After all, the word Alfalfa originates from the Arabic phrase, al-fac-facah, meaning "father of all foods."
At Grow Sow Greener, we believe in going back to the roots with regenerative gardening practices. Our untreated and GMO-free Organic Alfalfa Sprouting Seeds are laboratory tested for pathogens and packaged in 100% recyclable, biodegradable and plastic-free materials. You won't find kraft lined plastic pouches here. Great for you, your family and for the planet.
- Latin name: Medicago sativa
- Certified organic: Yes
- Treated seeds: No
- Soaking time: 4-5 hrs
- Sprouting time: 3-4 days
- Time to harvest: 5-6 days
- Advised time without light: Allow light a few hours prior to harvest so they can “green up”, boosting chlorophyll content.
- Nutrients: Bioactive plant compounds include saponins, coumarins, flavonoids, phytosterols, phytoestrogens and alkaloids, as well as high levels of vitamin K, vitamin C, folate, copper and manganese.
- Health: Maintains healthy skin and hair, prevents iron deficiency, supports bone health and weight loss, regulates cholesterol levels, detoxifies and aids digestion and a host of others.
- Pathogen/Microbial lab test: Yes